Saturday 17 March 2018

2018 Trout season opens in style in Cornwall



It's been a long while since I've written anything for the post, but Stuart's recent action has inspired me to try anew. I can't quite promise that the fishing will be quite as tropical as his however. It's been a very busy few months with various pieces of University work, field trips, and opportunities all limiting the amount of time that has been free to fish (relatable for many I'm sure!). The few windows of time that have come free have however invariably coincided with the very worst that Cornwall can throw at us in weather. The kayak has been in dry storage for 3 months, and the itch to wet a line has been growing exponentially.

The last proper attempt at any angling, fishing off a small mangrove in Indonesia.

With the season for trout fishing in rivers opening on March the 15th, my mind has been fixed once again on the charismatic British species Salmo trutta. With information about fly fishing for wild trout in Cornwall being limited to a few dubious forum posts, I've been using the last few months to gather and mull over any information that I can, including scouting a few likely looking streams. My more grandiose targets would however have to wait for breaking in the season, in the thick of deadlines half a day seemed all that could be spared.

Cornwall's formidable weather hadn't quite played it's last card though. Over the week prior to March 15th  a worrying forecast was forming, heavy rain and an incoming cold system (again!). As the day neared a small window opened; between 2 days of heavy rain and the incoming cold, March 16th sat happily as a sunny day of 10 degrees. That was that then. Usual work bag was exchanged for a somewhat larger rucksack filled with waders, flies, leader materials, bits and bobs and of course some study materials for Uni. Overladen, I arrived at in time for a marine noise lecture at 9am and then jumped straight back on the bike at 10:15.

The rain however had not been without consequence. The river Kennel was double the depth that I had ever seen it previously, and though while reasonably clear in the shallower sections it was a far removed image from the gentle stream that I had ended the 2017 season on. Still, here I was, and fishing this early on in the season was always more about being out there than finding loads of fish. Previous hotspots a little above the tidal reaches had failed me, so I headed a little further up than I had fished previously. Here the river narrowed, deepened and quickened in pace. Some of the wading was dubious, with pools over 5ft found.

Tricky wading


Given the fast flow, depth and poor viability, heavy and obvious flies were my choice for the day, hoping that something down there might take some curiosity. In order to effectively cover the variable depth and notice any takes, I employed an adjustable yarn indicator- a trick learned from the expert himself, Nick Hart. This however did not prevent me getting hooked up in many of the above-water obstacles, truly wild fishing!

My optimism was soon increased as I spotted a couple of 4 inch trout shoot upstream in my 3rd pool up. I soon found myself covering a fast deep pool on the right hand side bank, with a plethora of branches to get caught in upstream and a half submerged tree trunk 6 meters down from these defining the brackets of the run. Keeping to the left on a shallow sandbank, it was possible to lightly flick the fly on just the leader and 3 feet of fly line to the branches upstream and keep track of the leader and line as it passed level and slightly downstream to my right. It was real close quarters action.

On the 3rd run through, much to my surprise, the yarn indicator suddenly shot forwards and under. My arm jerked to strike, and this time the snag seemed to be moving. Fish on! It gave me a right merry dance around the deep pool, and was soon diving for the trunk downstream, using all of the strong flow in it's favour. As I put the brakes on best I could it changed tact and made 3 energetic leaps of protest. Eventually, with the light rod's limited power, I brought the bold individual level and was delighted to hold my first trout of the year. And man, these Cornish browns are just gorgeous! After a couple of quick snaps the 9 inch individual was soon released back, with all but pride intact.


This fighting fit individual was a very welcome sight indeed!


After enjoying the moment for a few minutes, returning missed calls to work colleagues and a few mouthfuls of water, I explored a little more upstream. The stream threw up some surprising features to be fished again, however this time it seems that I had gained my full reward in one fish. Just as I was making my way through the last couple of (very) overgrown pools, a large dark olive landed on my right arm, bringing to mind the great hatches to come later in the season.

However for now it was waders off and in the bag and back up to studying at campus. Here's to all the fish of 2018 to come, and let's hope some better weather comes our way soon!

Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment